Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Big Jim Big Jim is offline

Default Clean-burning charcoal

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:34:47 GMT, Brick wrote:
>

> Basically, what TFM is saying now is that BBQ really *is* grilling,
> something that has been hotly debated here for way too many years.
>
> -sw

OK little Buddy that Squirts off at the mouth<g>
"Barbecue" is not grilling.
Barbecue "IS" done over coals from burnt down logs at a greater distance,
say 16" to 24" in most cases. In some case it may be a bit closer because of
ash build-up.
"Grilling" is also done over coals, BUTT, the coals are very close to the
meat. Somewhere in the 6" or less range.
Also with a very hot fire.
When you are cooking barbecue the coals are not only much farther from the
meat, BUTT are spread very thin or even around the outside edges of whatever
you be cooking.
That is where the art comes in. Knowing where and when and how many coals
to use.
Originally to me Barbecue was never meant to have a heavy smoke flavor.
Grilling = hot and fast with coals close under the meat.
Barbecue = slow, cooler fire at a distance from the fire.
This is Southern Barbecue.
What in Texas is called Barbecue is a whole different animal.
For instance, the pits at Kuretz are offset pits with the fire in a pit on
one end of the pit.
There use to be a place in Dripping Springs (Riley's) that cooked on
Southern Pride Pits.
While Kuretz was good, especially the sausage and pork chop, I preferred
Riley's.
I don't get too testicle about it. If is pleasant to eat I am happy.
When I had my place I cooked on a Southern Pride, it wasn't TRUE Barbecue,
BUTT don't try to tell my customers that.
BeeJay