Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lenona321@yahoo.com is offline

Default How Do You Celebrate Halloween?

On Monday, October 15, 2012 9:36:30 PM UTC-4, The Other Guy wrote:

It was originally, AND STILL IS, an adult Holy day in Ireland and a few other places outside the U.S.

Er, elaborate? I mean, I know about All Saints' Day, but that's November 1st, and I don't even know what serious rituals are connected with that, never mind any holy rituals connected with Halloween!

Also, from a 1996 interview with humorist Fran Lebowitz:

DAVID: So, in the spirit of Halloween, tell me your most vivid Halloween memory.

FRAN: You mean my childhood memories? I was very interested in Halloween as a child. I have no interest in it as an adult, which I think is appropriate.

(end)

I don't have too much interest either, these days, though I'd be glad to get together with a bunch of adults and kids just for the sake of staying in the kitchen and making those funny, eerie dishes such as gummy worms in chocolate dirt - and then watching some old horror movies. (I'd bet that even the 1960s version of "The Pit and the Pendulum" would scare quite a few preteens. Just not all.)

And elaborate costume balls can be quite appealing - but who wants to spend all that money on a truly attractive costume that you won't likely use again?

Lenona.