Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default tech support question, regarding-- tea, beer

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
On Oct 9, 8:12 pm, "pavane" > wrote:

> There's Guinness and there's Guinness and there's Guinness.
> If you have had it in any way other than from the Irish keg on tap,
> in a place with high turnover, forget it. If you have had any of the
> bottled abortions under a Guinness label, forget it. The true
> Guinness is soft, very smooth, rich almost beyond compare,
> no rough edges at all, just lovely mother's milk. Go on a quest,
> seek it out. Whatever you have had is bad and wrong.
>
> pavane

Thank heavens there's one person who knows what Guinness should be.
When living in Great Britain in the 1970s I was a fanatic beer
drinker, sometimes traveling 50 miles to try a new real ale. There
was a lot spoken (with good reason) regarding the need for beer to
ferment in the pub and be pumped by lift pumps, not carbon dioxide.
Some of those beers are amazing.

That said, I don't care how Guinness is made, stored or pumped. It is
possibly the best beer in the world. It's the only beer whose quality
is obvious before drinking it. A perfect Guinness (draft of course)
has a tight head with tiny bubbles with no visible structure and
served at cellar temperature.

It's almost impossible to get a good Guinness in the US, it's
invariably served too cold. It can be found in Great Britain. I'm
told (as I've never been there) that what is served in Great Britain
is a poor shadow of what's available in Ireland.

http://www.richardfisher.com

It is amazing ale to be sure. Makes a darn good pot roast too. Five
hundred years and counting - something has to be right.

Paul