Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default tech support question, regarding-- tea, beer

"Christopher Helms" > wrote in message
On Oct 9, 10:37 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Christopher Helms" > wrote in message

> On Oct 9, 9:43 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>

> > "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> .. .

> > > The better the beer, the better it is warm.

> > Errr - no. Beers taste best at the ideal fermentation temperature for
> > the
> > yeasts which were used. This brings out the delicate esthers which
> > contribute so much to the flavor profile. Lagers and pilseners ferment
> > cold
> > while ales ferment warm. That is why ales taste best warm. By warm we
> > are
> > talking 66-68F as opposed to lagers which are best around 34-36F.

> > Paul

> IMHO, Homebrewed ale tastes best with just a bit of a chill on it,
> even though it ferments around 70 degrees. Of course homebrew is not
> pasteurized so there may be some different things going on there, as
> opposed to the sterile, packaged stuff.
>
> Beer and ale, even the commercial stuff. is not pasteurized as the
> pathogens
> that would be killed by pasteurization - ie salmonella, listeria, e. coli,
> cannot live in beer due the alcohol content and extreme acidity. Not only
> that but beer is boiled for a long time after the wort stage. It is quite
> thoroughly sanitized prior to fermentation.
>
> Nothing that can harm a human can live in beer.
>
> Paul

They don't do it to kill pathogens. Its to extend shelf life. The
yeast is very much alive and would alter the stuff in the bottle or
can over the months and months that commercial brews can sit around
between the brewery and pizza night or Sports Center or whatever. I
believe Miller Genuine Draft is cold filtered in some way to remove
the yeast, as opposed to heating the product to kill it. They also use
chemicals for head retention and clarity, because beer doesn't like to
be heated.

Yeast is not harmful in any way shape or form - in beer that is. Yes,
natural beer is full of yeast. In fact some brewers will collect the yeast
in the bottles and revive them for another batch. It is harmless and there
is no danger whatsoever.

Paul