Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.sourdough
merryb merryb is offline

Default I think my sourdough starter died :(

On Oct 1, 9:26*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I dug out the jar of starter from the back of the fridge Saturday and
> scraped off and discarded the top 2/3, added some warm water and flour
> and sat it on the kitchen counter. *It had been neglected all summer. *A
> few hours later it already smelled sour and alcoholic had a layer of
> "hooch" on top. *I poured that off and fed it again. *Sunday, it was
> looking a little bubbly so I made a batch of dough (1 pound flour, 1 cup
> water, 1 tsp salt, about 3/4 cups starter.) *I knew I was rushing it.
> This morning, the dough still hasn't risen, although it does smell
> soured -- not necessarily in a good way.
>
> It's like the yeast died but the lactic bacteria is still there. *Not
> sure if I should keep feeding it, or start a new batch. *Of course those
> are not mutually exclusive; I can maintain 2 starters for a while.
>
> Unless the dough rises today while I'm at work, I will probably try
> making flatbreads with it on a griddle. *If they don't turn out, at
> least the dogs will still love 'em.
>
> --
> Bob

I made a starter about 8 years ago, but had not been using it for
awhile. The last time I checked on it, it had turned kinda nasty, so I
tossed it out- a very hard thing to do after all the babying it got. I
did dry some when it was in the newer part of it's life, so I need to
see if I can wake it up...