Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.sourdough
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default I think my sourdough starter died :(

I dug out the jar of starter from the back of the fridge Saturday and
scraped off and discarded the top 2/3, added some warm water and flour
and sat it on the kitchen counter. It had been neglected all summer. A
few hours later it already smelled sour and alcoholic had a layer of
"hooch" on top. I poured that off and fed it again. Sunday, it was
looking a little bubbly so I made a batch of dough (1 pound flour, 1 cup
water, 1 tsp salt, about 3/4 cups starter.) I knew I was rushing it.
This morning, the dough still hasn't risen, although it does smell
soured -- not necessarily in a good way.

It's like the yeast died but the lactic bacteria is still there. Not
sure if I should keep feeding it, or start a new batch. Of course those
are not mutually exclusive; I can maintain 2 starters for a while.

Unless the dough rises today while I'm at work, I will probably try
making flatbreads with it on a griddle. If they don't turn out, at
least the dogs will still love 'em.

--
Bob