Old 26-09-2012, 12:55 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 1998 Ornellaia

We made waygu and mushroom ravioli last night and while looking for a wine I came upon a stash of 1998 Ornellaia that I had bought on release. I noticed a shelf talker taped on the case proclaiming the wine as the 2001 WIne Spectator Wine of the Year so I pulled a bottle for dinner. Wow. A blend of cabernet and merlot with a bit of cab franc. Medium reddish purple with a distinctive spicy nose of red currants, anise and sous bois. Smooth on the palate with initial sweet cassis and raspberry flavor followed by mushroom, cedar and vanilla. Firm but fine tannins on the finish. Perhaps just a tad short on acid. "A-"