Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default slow cooker/pressure cooker? Difference?

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:48:26 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:37:25 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > My favorite way to prepare tuna is to dredge it in black pepper and salt
> > > and fry it at high temperatures until it's rare. Oddly enough, it's
> > > tastes like beef, not fish.

> > I wish I could afford to buy sushi grade tuna steaks more often. They
> > are too expensive to consider most of the time

> And really good sushi grade tuna costs a fortune. I've only had fresh tuna
> steaks once. My daughter when out fishing offshore with friends one day and
> they caught some. She brought me some fresh-caught steaks and showed me how
> to cook them. (Her boyfriend was a head chef at a good local restaurant).
> It was basically press cracked pepper and kosher salt into both sides, pan
> sear both sides, then cook very briefly....medium rare at the most.
>
> And you mentioned crabs being "fresh-frozen" .... remember most sensitive
> seafood is frozen right on the boats. Crab legs are always frozen
> immediately at the factory (and only from live crabs). Tuna is always frozen
> right on the boat immediately after being caught (and that includes the
> highest quality of tuna for sushi grade).

I think they freeze fish like tuna to kill parasites and it's a flash
freeze, like they do with vegetables. I don't eat prefrozen crab legs
(tried them once and thought they were horrible). I only eat crabs
that I've know were live when they went into the pot (which I usually
do myself). If they weren't cooked at the restaurant or retailer,
then I don't want any.