Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Anyone still drinking Tieguanyin?

In article >,

>Trouble is, the soil buildup of pesticide residues, the fact that many TGYs
> are blends from different farms, plus pesticides accumulate in clay soil,
>and tea plants have natural tendency to absorb nutrients heavily from the
>soil - all of those factors meant disaster for TGY market.
>
>In China, even much of the domestic market is afraid to drink TGY. It's also
>perceived as hurting the stomach - so it's a tea not looked upon favorably
>now.

The domestic market is starting to worry about contaminated and fake foods,
just like happened in the US a century or so ago. I'm not sure that they have
the power to have anything done about it.

They're still growing guanyin tea in Taiwan, though, and some of it is
excellent.
--scott