Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default slow cooker/pressure cooker? Difference?

On 9/17/2012 10:58 AM, George wrote:
> On 9/17/2012 1:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 9/17/2012 3:36 AM, George wrote:
>>>
>>> I assume you are using curry powder or paste? Since its a slow cooker
>>> prep do you fry it first? I have tried but don't care for the taste when
>>> curry powder is added as an ingredient and not cooked.

>> Frying the onions and powder in butter is a good idea. That's not really
>> feasible if you're going to use a rice cooker. We thought the dish was
>> fine and I'll make it again. Next time I'll use some Japanese curry roux
>> instead of the powder. The roux comes in handy small blocks. I'll just
>> chop it up and and it to the ricepot. I can't say if it will work but my
>> guess is that it's going to be tasty.

> I think thats what kills a lot of the slow cooker dishes. If you need to
> get multiple pans out to say brown stuff first you might as well just
> make the dish.
>
> I sometimes use Thai curry paste and it is pretty quick to make a one
> pot meal such as this:
>
> http://foodcomas.com/2010/06/21/thai...chicken-curry/

I have a tub of green curry paste and that brown sugar. That really
looks tasty. Chicken wing curry? That great, although I'd probably make
chicken adobo with the wings. You can't make that dish in a rice cooker
but for some reason, I enjoy cooking up a batch of adobo. Damn I wish I
could have some right now!