Posted to rec.food.cooking
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Default slow cooker/pressure cooker? Difference?

On 9/17/2012 1:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/17/2012 3:36 AM, George wrote:
>>
>> I assume you are using curry powder or paste? Since its a slow cooker
>> prep do you fry it first? I have tried but don't care for the taste when
>> curry powder is added as an ingredient and not cooked.

> Frying the onions and powder in butter is a good idea. That's not really
> feasible if you're going to use a rice cooker. We thought the dish was
> fine and I'll make it again. Next time I'll use some Japanese curry roux
> instead of the powder. The roux comes in handy small blocks. I'll just
> chop it up and and it to the ricepot. I can't say if it will work but my
> guess is that it's going to be tasty.

I think thats what kills a lot of the slow cooker dishes. If you need to
get multiple pans out to say brown stuff first you might as well just
make the dish.

I sometimes use Thai curry paste and it is pretty quick to make a one
pot meal such as this:

http://foodcomas.com/2010/06/21/thai...chicken-curry/