Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default slow cooker/pressure cooker? Difference?

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 02:08:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sep 16, 6:55*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:

>> > I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
>> > panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
>> > room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
>> > can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
>> > while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
>> > potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

>> If the panini maker works like a George Foreman grill, you can cook
>> chicken breasts, hamburgers, etc. in it.

>The idea is the same but the GF grill has serious design problems.
>The hinge on the side does not accommodate thick foods and tends to
>compress foods on one side. There's no temperature control on most
>models and the plates don't get hot enough.
>
>A good and useful panini maker will have large plates of sufficient
>wattage and a temperature control. It will also have a floating plate
>design with a hinge in the middle. I got my son a small George Foreman
>grill. He uses it to cook chicken.

A George Foreman grill tends to steam cook food. Did you ever notice
that the grill lines on the food in the pictures do no go in the same
direction as the bars on the grill? They are branding them with a
special iron in the back room before they take the pictures.
Janet US