Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default slow cooker/pressure cooker? Difference?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:17:18 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 9/16/2012 10:36 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>
>> I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
>> double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
>> a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
>> in the same appliance.
>>

>I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
>panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
>room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
>can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
>while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
>potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

I like all phases of cooking. I've never used my pressure cooker to
prepare an entire meal. My pressure cooker is a tool used to help
prepare -- cooking soup bones and meat for stock, cooking beans and
beets, cooking stew meat after browning for a tender stew -- that kind
of thing. I can't imagine throwing everything in a pot to cook
without regard to different cooking times and browning and so forth.
Janet US