Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default slow cooker/pressure cooker? Difference?

On 9/16/2012 9:23 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I'm confused. I see now that electric pressure cookers have a 'slow
> cooker' feature. Why? Isn't a pressure cooker simply another way of
> doing what a slow cooker does, only faster? I've always had a
> pressure cooker, it was part of my life growing up. I only tried once
> to use a slow cooker. I really don't understand why one would want
> both. Is there really a difference in results? Is there anyone here
> who has/uses both?
> Janet US

The reason they exist is because it's cheap to make this appliance a
multi-function device. The slow cooker is for when you want to cook a
dish without paying it much attention. The pressure cooker is fast but
you have to be around to tend it.

Recently, I've been using my oven as a slow cooker by using temperatures
below 250 degrees. Putting stuff in the oven and forgetting about it has
a lot of appeal for me.