Old 14-09-2012, 05:02 PM posted to alt.food.wine
lleichtman lleichtman is offline

Default 2011 Diatom Chardonnays

On Friday, September 14, 2012 8:41:41 AM UTC-6, Bi!! wrote:
Greg Brewer of Brewer-Clifton wines released two wines recently from

his Diaton project. The 2011 Hana Shinbu and 2011 Hamon Chardonnays.

These are tank fermented, see no wood at all and are very minamalist

in there handling. Hard to describe these wines but they bear very

little resemblence to any chardonnay that I've ever had before. Hana

Shinobu shows a saline character with lime, grapefruit and mineral

notes that reminds me more of Sake than Chardonnay. Quite lean and

precise. The Hamon was slightly heavier with pronounced citrus peel,

mandarin orange and slightly floral. These wines were more like

Sauvingon Blanc than chardonnay.

Not seen these around. Do they have a wide distribution?