Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fast food health problems.Read before you eat another big mac

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I have never eaten a Big Mac nor would I.

> That mentality annoys me. Don't discount something if you've never tried
> it. Unhealthy? Yeah...but you just might like one occasionally.
> Occasional
> 'bad food' isn't going to hurt you. And you are so picky about food,
> anything you find you like would be a bonus. You especially should be
> willing to try anything once.

No. I am sure I would not like one. I am not really big on hamburgers to
begin with and when I do eat them, they are plain save for lettuce, tomato
and onion. I have seen people eating Big Macs. They have gloppy sauce on
them. For that reason I would not eat one. Healthy or unhealthy has
nothing to do with it. They just don't look appealing to me.

Now a taco? You bet. I would eat that.

But why should I be willing to try something that I *know* is not good for
me? That is something I don't understand.

> I had that rule with my daughter as she was growing up. I would make
> dinner
> and if it contained something new and different (that she never had
> before),
> I insisted that she try just one bite. One bite then if she still didn't
> like it, i didn't force it on her.

My daughter must try things too, *if* they are heathy foods. No way would I
ever tell her that she had to eat a dessert or some sort of junk food.
Never! The schools here teach children from an early age what food is
healthy and what food is not. She even bought herself a book called, "Eat
This! Not That!" It compares convenience and fast food and tells you which
is the better option. We don't necessarily agree that the better option is
actually a good choice. But... She is trying very hard to learn which
foods she should eat.

> With my "one bite" rule, she actually ended up liking maybe half the
> things...things that she wouldn't have tried otherwise.

My daughter has always been good to try things. Always. She doesn't always
like them though.