Posted to alt.food.asian
IanG IanG is offline

Default Perfect Asian Dipping Sauce

Hi -

I finally made this sauce Sunday night for some Thai Fish Cakes and it
really is great:

Perfect Asian Dipping Sauce

12 TB Mae Ploy Sweet Chilli Sauce (Thai)
1 tsp Chinkiang/Black Vinegar
1 tsp Fish Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Sriracha Sauce – Huy Fong

Credit where credit is due - this was my translation of Steve Wertz'
recipe, I am almost certain, though google seems to have lost some of
this ng's posts. Here is the picture that accompanied the original entry:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7...ctasiandip.jpg

The way he described it was:

It's 90% sweet Thai chile sauce. It must be Mae Ploy brand;
accept no other brand. The other 10% is made up of the other 4
bottles in the amounts that suit you - about 2.5% each. They are
black vinegar, fish sauce, sesame oil, and Huy Fong sriracha.

You will find a dip similar to this served to you in Thai
restaurants, but usually it's just the sweet chile sauce with no
other ingredients.

You may substitute rice wine vinegar for the black vinegar. In
that case use a fair about of it - about 10-12%. You may also use
both black and rice wine vinegars, but do not use more than 2.5%
black vinegar; It's like sesame oil - a little goes a long way.

Again, this dip represents the 4 Asian flavors all together:
Sweet, sour, salty, and pungent. It's mainly for use with egg
rolls, pot-stickers, grilled pork chops or ribs, spring rolls,
braised chicken feet, summer rolls, and even fall and winter
rolls. It's also great on fingers.

-sw

Anyway, so this post is not an entire retread, here's the fish cake
recipe too:

2 lbs whiting
2 Tbs fish Sauce
2 Tbs red curry paste (any Thai curry paste should work)
2 eggs

Squeeze as much moisture out of the fish as possible, crudely chop it,
then pulse it in a food processor briefly, carefully. You want it flaky,
not pasty.

Blend the other ingredients in a bowl, then add the fish, and mix
together. if the mixture is a bit gloppy, add some breadcrumbs (any
kind) gradually, blending as you go, until the mixture seem to hold
together a bit solidly.

Heat sufficient oil (peanut is good) for deep-frying to about 300
degrees, then form the fish into little pattys and drop them into the
oil, doing your best to keep the temperature at 300.

Remove when golden brown, and eat them with your perfect dipping sauce.
Make extra, because it will disappear.

Ian