Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Sticker shock

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:52:07 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> My Burgundy epiphany arrived in the form of the '88 Dujac Clos de la
>
> Roche, which we purchased at the first HDH auction in 2004 as part of a
>
> mixed case of '88 GCs (total cost $550 + vig for the case). Today, I
>
> received the latest HDH auction catalogue in which that same '88 Dujac
>
> Clos de la Roche is now priced at $300-450 a _bottle_! The only
>
> silver lining is a graphic at the beginning of the catalogue showing an
>
> overall decline in auction prices over the past year. Perhaps we can
>
> dub that the "Rudy Kurniawan effect"? ;-)
>

> Mark Lipton

Yeah, lots of stuff that I used to be able to afford- no longer!

I will point out a couple of other factors than general rises:

Dujac - already borderline cult-I'd guess the CdlR was the most expensive bottle in that mixed case? - has gotten even more popular since 2004.

1988 really languished in market for a lot of years as they're on austere side, and were shut down hard. Parker rated them mediocre to poor. But as they've begun drinking (much) better - and the comments on wine boards and by critics like Meadows and Gilman who have a better grip on Burgundy are much more positive- prices have creeped up even more than other vintages. As a fan of the vintage this makes me sad!

Those are just observations, I totally agree re Burg prices overall