Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default Sticker shock

On Aug 29, 11:52*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> My Burgundy epiphany arrived in the form of the '88 Dujac Clos de la
> Roche, which we purchased at the first HDH auction in 2004 as part of a
> mixed case of '88 GCs (total cost $550 + vig for the case). *Today, I
> received the latest HDH auction catalogue in which that same '88 Dujac
> Clos de la Roche is now priced at $300-450 a _bottle_! *The only
> silver lining is a graphic at the beginning of the catalogue showing an
> overall decline in auction prices over the past year. *Perhaps we can
> dub that the "Rudy Kurniawan effect"? ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton

I feel your pain Mark. I bought a ton of Burgundy a few years ago so
I haven't been in the market recently and I was shocked by the prices
I'm seeing on HDH, Acker, etc including the prices on a number of
private sites where cellars are being liquidated privately. Burgundy
has gone insane. I did however just receive an e-mail yesterday
selling nothing but SQN with a number of wines at $150 which is a
downturn from the $300-$400 that these wines have been sold at
recently.