Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Clarified butter (ghee):

On 2012-08-29 07:55:46 +0000, ViLco said:

> Ad wrote:
>
>>> Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

>> It's in part a technical matter, ghee having a higher smoke point.

> In fact the recipe for cotoletta alla milanese calls for clarified
> butter exactly for that reason.

That's what I've always heard. So when one wants to cook in butter but
wants to cook at a higher temperature, one uses ghee. Is that pretty
much it?

Oil's smoke point is much higher than butter too, so--except for the
flavor profile--it would be about the same thing as ghee, right?

I've always assume that Indian's used ghee because vegetable oils were
difficult to come by or hard to keep or something.