zxcvbob

Default Fresh beets...what to go with?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> (Fx199) wrote:
>

>>I have some fresh beets in the garden...what would be a good meal to plan
>>around them? What kind of meats generally go good with them.
>>I was just going to steam the beets, but am open for alternatives...
>>
>>Thanks

> They're best held at arm's length and deposited into the nearest trash
> barrel. (nothing personal, ok?)

The beet greens are wonderful. Like spinach, but better. I don't know
why people think the roots are also edible. They *are* good for
scaring small children, or throwing at passing cars. I like to boil
them first (outside of course!) so they look more disgusting and they go
splat when they hit something. Do not peel them, and leave about an
inch of the leaf stems and the nasty little rat-tail-root attached when
you boil 'em so the red doesn't all run out. If you are perverse enough
to want to actually eat the beetroots, boil them as above; when they are
tender you can cool them slightly, trim, and slip the skins off.

I try to alway have a few cans of beets on hand, just in case there's a
food drive for the local shelter or something. Also lima beans, canned
okra, and hominy. "Be prepared," that's what I always say.

Best regards,
Bob