susyn153 susyn153 is offline
Member

I am testament to the fact that mayo doesn't need refrigeration once opened. I lived on my boat for 7 years (without refrigeration) in FLORIDA. Having said that, get a really small container or squeeze bottle (what I used), keep it clean (CLEAN) and pitch if it touches food in any way at all. Use clean hands or a papertowel to flip the cap and squeeze above the product. DO NOT leave in the sun, keep in a cool dark place (in this case my waterline-lower compartments) in a baggie-so crap doesn't get in it. One squeeze bottle lasted about 3 months for me alone, again SMALL bottle and never touch the top with dirty hands.
PS, my granma never refrigerated her mayo either but did use it up in about 3 months and always used a CLEAN spoon.
The food poisioning ALWAYS comes from the stuff you mix it with and the temp of the food ie 40-104 degrees F.
PSS. don't know if this works with some of the newer mayo's, always used a real mayo, eggs, oil, vinegar, salt. specifically helmans brand.
There are many many foods that don't need refrigeration once opened, the trick is to get squeeze bottles and keep em clean, cool and out of sunlight with as few temp fluctuations as possible. Jam and jelly is a good example of this, no need to refrigerate, just use a clean spoon or squeeze bottle. Use up in a couple of months. Mustard the same, ketchup, worshteshire sauce, tobasco, italian dressing (especially ones you make yourself) relish etc. The problem is when you get it dirty or you are changing the temp alot. Most condiments predate refrigeration but were made up to order so to speak, like mustard, and used within a week or so. Ketchup was canned in smallish jars and used up likewise as was jams and jellies, small jars, honey not only doesn';t need to be refrigerated but it wrecks it, olive oil and most nut oils don't like it either.