Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Freides[_2_] Steve Freides[_2_] is offline

Default Substitute for Tequila

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:48:50 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> > wrote:
>
>> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may
>> contain hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of
>> tequila. She doesn't drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know
>> anyone that drinks tequila so she's wondering what might (be easier
>> to) substitute.

> What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
> for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
> give it away.
> Janet US

That doesn't mean another liquor couldn't be substituted - would taste
different but still might taste OK as long as authenticity isn't
required. Vodka would give you the alcohol without the flavor, and who
knows, maybe vermouth would OK.

NB: I haven't a clue, of course, just rambling. I think my choice would
be to pick a different recipe altogether.

-S-