Mark Lipton

Default TN: Ballet and nebbiolo, good QPR whites, bad wines for a good cause(IMHO)

Dale Williams wrote:

> Saturday I was home alone, and noshed on leftovers rather than a proper dinner.
> The wine I sipped was the 2002 Michel Bailly "Les Loges"* Pouilly-Fume.
> Vibrant nose of flowers, citrus, and gunflint. Ripe fruit, yet tartly acidic.
> Finish of wet rocks and a hint of capsicum. Got nicely smoky after being opened
> a while. B+

Sorry, but I have to ask: where do you find gunflint to smell in the first place?
:P

> Betsy had the cooking itch after a week with no opportunity, so outdid herself.
> We started with an avocado-buttermilk soup, then chicken with sauteed radicchio
> and fennel-mustard butter, orzo salad with tomatos and basil, & roast corn with
> jalapeño butter. One friend is red-only, so we had the 2000 JL Chave "Mon
> Couer" Côtes du Rhône. When I first saw this, I thought I was pretty savvy
> buying a Chave for $13. But rather than gaining complexity, these have gotten
> more and more boring. Ripe round international Grenache. I'd be happy with this
> as an $8 CdR. B-

Is the Chave CdR really Grenache? I'd have guessed that it's declassified or
young Syrah from the N. Rhone. If it's young vines, that could explain the lack
of ageworthiness...

> I can't find the vintage on the Campo Burgo Rioja, but it's one of the worse
> wines I've tried in a while. I wouldn't try another vintage except maybe at
> gunpoint. Behind the VA lies unripe fruit, overblown oak, and mustiness. A
> short bitter finish rounds out the package. D+/C-

LOL!! Thanks, Dale. I truly miss the excoriating wine reviews that used to get
published in CGCW and WA. Wine reviews now lack some of the entertainment value
that they had in former times.

Thanks very much for your notes, Dale!

Mark Lipton