Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Greek, French, and Spanish wines

Monday we ate at Periyali in the city with friends. Restaurant Week menu, I started with a generous salad platter with taramosalata, tzatziki & eggplant puree; Betsy had a delicious octopus starter. She had lamb chops as a main, while I had some very good striped bass. We got a bottle of white for the table, and the lamb choppers got glasses of red.

2011 Sigalas Assyrtico
Lemony, mineral., big mouthfeel for a not-fruit driven white. B+

2009 Katogi Agiorgitiko
Lighter styled, cherries and red plum, acceptable but not a lot of depth there. B-

Dessert was a sampler plate with cookies and 2 cakes, they also brought over some baklava. They also provided us each with a small glass of Muscat (I think Efreni) that was pleasantly floral but needed quite a bit more acidic zip.

Tuesday I made bucatini in a morel/pea cream sauce, a sautee of king trumpets and arugula, and a sorrel salad. 2011 Thomas Labaille “L’Authentique” Sancerre rose is an elegant style of restrained rose, fresh acids lifting the pretty cherry and raspberry fruit, there’s a little herb and a lot of mineral on the finish. Young, fresh, I like it the way it is but could last a few years. B+

Wednesday the park concert was moved indoors, so we stayed home with some flounder, broccoli, corn, and rice with nori.

2011 Ameztoi Getariako Txakolina
This was intended to be our picnic wine, so it became apertif. Ah, when Muscadet meets dry Riesling. Light, a tad spritzy, more minerally/saline notes than fruit. Fun and refreshing. B+/B

2010 Lafouge “Les Meix Chavaux” Meursault
This is village level not 1er, a lieu-dit I assume. Full, good acids, stony, with pretty white fruits and some pleasant nutty overtones. Good length. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.