Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.agnosticism,alt.atheism,sci.skeptic
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default Dietary ethics

On 1 Aug., 18:38, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 8/1/2012 9:24 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Nope.

> > Some philosophers hold that it makes sense to speak of the outcome
> > being better or worse, and

> Yeah, yeah, you've tried that shit before. *It has to be better or worse
> *for* someone or something that has a welfare that can be evaluated.
> Saying that "it's just better" is nonsense.

So you claim, although you appear to just be asserting it without
argument. That is beside the point. I am not articulating the view
with the purpose of defending it. I am simply pointing out that there
are ways to account for how David Harrison might hold that view,
contrary to what you said.

> >> We do know what his beliefs are.

> > You claim to know, but it is unclear how you would know.

> No, it's perfectly clear how *you* and I know: *****wit tells us.

He tells us things that contradict each other so there is no way to
know.

> >> Saying stuff to stir shit up. *He knows that his deeply held beliefs are
> >> rejected by everyone, but he spews them to stir shit up anyway, even
> >> though the beliefs have been ridiculed and shown to be illogical bullshit.

> > Why is that an essentially dishonest pastime?

> Because he isn't trying to enlighten anyone. *Shit-stirring simply for
> the sake of stirring shit, even if one is stirring the shit by revealing
> one's core beliefs, is dishonest.

Doesn't seem so to me.

> >> You were the one who exhibited psychosis.

> > In what way?

> <chortle>

It's a shame you don't feel like answering the question; I am sure
your attempt to explain how you are able to diagnose psychiatric
symptoms would be very amusing.