Posted to rec.food.cooking
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Default Taste test: pasta

On 7/31/2012 1:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 31/07/2012 11:10 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> I did a blind taste test on di Cecco penne (2.59 a 1 lb box) vs.
>> Hannaford housebrand (.89).
>> DH helped by straining and plating it etc. I could NOT tell any
>> difference. I am adding this to my list of OK housebrand items along
>> with oatmeal and 'grapenuts'.
>>

> It seems to be only Italians who make a big deal about the quality of
> pasta, and as much as they comment about pasta being good or not, I have
> never been all that impressed with the stuff they serve. AS couple
> years ago we were cat sitting for our Italian neighbours and the cat had
> been shut into a storage room in the basement. They had stockpiled all
> sorts of cheap pastas and sauces that they had bought on sale.

I think the main difference you will find is that Italians treat sauces
as an accent and others expect the pasta to be swimming. Similar to what
you see in Asian rice eating countries. Dishes have sauce as an accent
while others want the rice drowned in liquid. So the quality of the
pasta and rice makes a much bigger difference if not swimming in sauce.