Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taste test: pasta

On 31/07/2012 11:10 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> I did a blind taste test on di Cecco penne (2.59 a 1 lb box) vs. Hannaford housebrand (.89).
> DH helped by straining and plating it etc. I could NOT tell any difference. I am adding this to my list of OK housebrand items along with oatmeal and 'grapenuts'.

It seems to be only Italians who make a big deal about the quality of
pasta, and as much as they comment about pasta being good or not, I have
never been all that impressed with the stuff they serve. AS couple
years ago we were cat sitting for our Italian neighbours and the cat had
been shut into a storage room in the basement. They had stockpiled all
sorts of cheap pastas and sauces that they had bought on sale.

FWIW, I get the Catelli Smart pasta, which has enough whole wheat to
make it a healthier pasta option, but not so much that it tastes like
that crappy whole wheat pasta.