Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.agnosticism,alt.atheism,sci.skeptic
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default Dietary ethics

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:32:27 -0700, Dutch > wrote:

>dh@. wrote:
>
>> The fact that people who don't feel they have what could be considered a
>> truly "good" life don't all kill themselves tells us that life still has
>> positive value to them

>Those people already exist,

So do animals in similar positions.

>life only has value to a being once they
>exist. You need to read Salt's essay again, not that you will understand it.

I understand that commercially raised pigs are no longer filthily housed and
fed, and also that Salt didn't have any idea whether life is of positive value
to most modern commercially raised pigs or not. I'd also say it's safe to
believe that he wouldn't feel any livestock animals' lives were worth living the
same as you and the Goober and all other misnomer addicts, meaning that none of
you could make a realistic distinction between which lives seem to be negative
and which seem to be positive.