Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Zucchini latkes?

After looking at some of the recipes, here's what I did. For my first
try I didn't try to go low carb beyond replacing the potatoes with
zucchini.

2 large zucchini -- washed, cut off ends, grated, put into colander,
tossed with some salt, left for 45 minutes. Then squeezed the water out
(there was a lot that dripped off it before I squeezed it out) and set
it aside.

Grated 1/2 of a large onion.
Minced a couple of garlic scapes.
Minced a few sprigs of flat leaf Italian parsley.

Beat three large eggs in a bowl. Folded in the zucchini, onion, garlic
scapes, and parsley. Added a little salt (it needed more than I added).
Added what seemed like enough flour, which turned out to be just over
1/2 cup. Folded well.

In a large cast iron frying pan, I heated up about 1/4 inch of peanut
oil and got it hot. Spooned the batter into the hot oil, cooking three
at a time. Flipped when the first side was brown.

Served with sour cream. (My luncheon companion was also served sesame
noodles, and we both had fresh cherries for dessert.)

I'll be making these again, and I'll probably see how they do with
almond meal replacing the flour to make them truly low-carb. Next time
I think I'll nuke the minced garlic scapes (if I use them) because they
were a little crunchy.

Priscilla