Old 15-07-2012, 04:39 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pastrami

On 7/14/2012 5:54 PM, Kent wrote:
"Janet wrote in message
eb.com...
I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.

When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
decided to try my hand at a pastrami.

I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150 internal temp then
steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
think this might be they way I'll go.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Janet here's an article about making pastrami from corned beef I found on
the Virtual Weber Bullet. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html
I've a got a couple of frozen corned beef flats in the garage freezer. I'm
going to try this. My concern would be the degree of saltiness you end up
with.

Kent

Thanks, Kent.

I have been soaking the corned beef since this morning with a change of
water.

I did make a note of the rub. Sounds good to me. I have pepper and
corriander and an electric coffee/spice grinder grinder.

I don't have a WSM, just a Brinkman Gourmet, so I'll be using the
smoking instructions I found somewhere else and smoking to 150 with a
wrapped rest then a steaming in the pressure cooker.

Tomorrow is the day. DH wants me to bake a rye bread to go with it.
Don't think that will happen.

I'll report back on the success of the pastrami..