Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.agnosticism,alt.atheism,sci.skeptic
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default Dietary ethics

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 10:08:25 -0700, Bob Casanova > wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 13:14:14 -0400, the following appeared
>in sci.skeptic, posted by dh@.:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 10:11:01 -0700, Bob Casanova > wrote:

>>>Same here. And apparently Rupert is locked into the same
>>>error as David, since his reply is a non sequitur.

>> Rupert believes that almost all livestock live terrible lives which are of
>>negative value to the animals. Sometimes he seems to believe that some grass
>>raised cattle might possibly experience lives which are of positive value to
>>them, but other times he appears to believe no livestock live lives of positive
>>value. BTW he can't comprehend the meaning of lives of positive value and can
>>only think of it as "good", even though I've explained to him that life can be
>>of positive value to a being without actually being "good".

>Maybe the reason he "can't comprehend it" is the fact that
>"positive value", "good", "negative value" and "bad" are all
>subjective value judgements, and as such have no intrinsic
>meaning, something he appears to know and you don't.

In contrast to that I TOLD him we all must decide for ourselves which lives
seem to be of positive value and which do not, but he still couldn't get it and
afaik he still can't. BTW it's easy for me to understand that a life of positive
value still can not be "good", but it can be average without being truly good or
bad. A life of negative value can't be average though, but instead has to be
bad. That's the way I interpret it anyway. Rupert can't interpret it at all much
less appreciate distinctions between different situations like that, and it's
likely that you can't comprehend what I'm referring to in any way at all.