Wm James

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

On 10 Jul 2004 08:57:28 -0700, (Darryl) wrote:

>Wm James > wrote in message >. ..
>> The workers already know there's a strike.

>I personally know a local example where a 2nd union did not know that
>the 1st union at a certain place was striking. One day they chatted
>with the strikers WHILE PASSING THROUGH THE PICKET LINE, and they
>found out which union was striking, & why, & it was a union with which
>they had an agreement to honor strikes. The next day, no one from
>union #2 showed up. Management quickly caved.
>
>> It's simple.

>No... it's not. But your strong belief that it SHOULD be is what
>keeps you from reaching a defensible position regarding it. The pros
>and cons of unions are a legitimate topic of debate, but far beyond
>people who feel it's a "simple" issue. We'd regard as idiots anyone
>who considered neurosurgeons fools for wasting their time in college
>because, hey, brain surgery is a "simple" matter, easily mastered with
>a home study DVD course. It's obviously, to the common man, not
>simple. But any yahoo with a 300 baud modem seems to have an answer
>to the most complex issues of the day, because of their clear &
>piercing insight into the heart of the matter.

Respect of rights is not complicated. If the union members don't
ewant to trade anymore, that's their right. If they don't want their
former employer on their property after they cease trading, that's
their right. The business owner has the same rights.

William R. James