Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tommy Joe Tommy Joe is offline

Default Searching for Cheap Flights?

On Jun 22, 4:43*pm, MotoFox > wrote:

> That's why I either drive or take the train. It just works out better that
> way. Not nearly as much hassle. That, and trains are just damn cool.
>
> And even in those few circumstances I have had to fly somewhere, I try to
> avoid the commercial/korporate airlines (they're a bureaucratic nightmare)
> and fly privately if/when I can.
>
> (I've never really liked flying to begin with. Even before al-Bu$ha
> orchestrated their September 11 bullshit, I didn't like to fly. Now I like
> it even less.)

I have not flown in 47 years since I was 17 years old. I flew
5 times in a short span, once in a small plane. They're less safe in
the long haul than the big planes - sliding all over the place - but
the mere fact that I could still see the earth below made me feel like
we still had some kind of chance to glide in, not go down in a nose-
dive like the huge metal jet boxes.

I like to hear people complain about flying complications, as
if flying is any different from taking a stinking land bus. It's an
air bus, that's all. A lot of things that were luxuries yesterday are
necessities today, just as today's luxuries will be tomorrow's
necessities.

Anyway, I used to travel a lot - driving and hitch-hiking - and
I'm thinking about a trip to J'Ville to see my brother and also one to
NYC to see my sister, and I think I'm going to hitch hike both times.
Last time I hitched was about 13 years ago, to PA from NC, then a week
later, back the other way.

It's incredible the people who think they know things because
they hear them. "Oh, it's scary, hitch-hiking today - nobody will
pick you up." Really? Maybe if you cut giant scars into your face
along with a nose ring and a vest made of chains with no shirt beneath
it revealing a hairy mass with a very loud tattoo below it reading, "I
hate people!"

But believe me, they still stop. Oh there are period where you
think you'll never get out of where you're at - that you might just
die there - then out of nowhere someone stops, sometimes even when
your thumb isn't out. Everyone has a reason for stopping, Used to be
a lot of gays when I was younger, maybe even still today - but also a
lot of preachers looking for a chance to spring Jesus on you - who
knows why they stop? - but sometimes they stop just because they've
hitched themselves - and other times they'll stop because they want to
know if you have a license and will drive for them because they're
tired. I love that. Sure, it's no picnic in the rain, and it's bad
at night - but you don't have to deal with being confined in a moving
hell on wheels with a bunch of screaming children and their even more
annoyingly loud parents. Took a bus cross country 4 different times -
twice each way - vowing each time, never again. This time I mean it.
Unless it's freezing cold I'm ready to stand or sit in the elements
rather than be confined to a stinking seat with no leg room and a
bunch of buzzing my head to madness.

TJ