Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default Another ban on Big Gulps!

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> How does regulating a size cut health care costs? Or putting high taxes
> on cigarettes and alcohol? People will still drink and smoke the same
> amounts regardless of personal cost or difficulty in obtaining a
> product.

that's just wrong. you only have to look at the general downward trend of
smokers in states that tax tobacco heavily. in addition, while it may not have
an immediate effect, there are incremental decreases due to these high costs to
deter new smokers. finally, while the higher cost might not deter specific
individuals on their own due to that cost, as the disposable income becomes
scarcer in "relationships", the pressure is increased on the smoker to quit by
the "spouse"

I know, I wasn't going to get into this argument. There is no