Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default tahini quest

On 24/06/2012 11:04 AM, Somebody wrote:
> So after deciding it was too pricey at Rainbow Blossom, I went to the
> Kroger. Scanned the "ethnic aisle". (I didn't realized there was a
> British section, and German section there till then.) Anyway, no luck. And
> nothing in Health Food area that I could find.... So asked stocker, and he
> said "aisle tin". So I went to aisle ten which was the ethnic section where
> I had just been. The stocker happened by again and I said I was in this
> aisle before and didn't find any. He smiled and said "you want me to do
> everything" I thought that was a bit rude, but he did show me a couple
> places with the long sought thin. As he showed me, he said "when people see
> the price they usually walk away." (Not a great salesman, that one.) So I
> looked at both and they were a bit high, 8.99 for Peloponnese and 6.47 for
> Joyva. I opted for the cheaper since not sure either's rep. And they are
> 15 servings so that's not really that expensive per serving.

I have had trouble finding tahini around here. There is a discount
grocery store near me that has a multi ethnic area where they stock it.

> Got home and realized I forgot the garlic. Is fresh that much better than
> roasted in a jar?

Yes. You want the garlic to have a sharp flavour to it.

>> Oh, another neophyte question. What's the difference between extra light,

> light and pure olive oil? They all had the same nutrition label info, even
> down to sodium amount. I assume the lighter tastes less olivey?

You want something with some flavour to it, not just bland oil.
Otherwise you would be able to use any vegetable oil.