Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Another ban on Big Gulps!

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Susan" > wrote in message
>
>> Cheri, I think there are a lot of folks who just think it's normal
>> because they see it all around them and aren't making informed decisions.
>>
>> Kind of like the folks who were very unsophisticated about banking and
>> loans and figured if a bank would give them a mortgage, it must be true
>> that they could afford it.
>>
>> You and I and some others reading here know how to do the math, others
>> rely on professionals and advertising too much. Not everyone can make
>> sense of stuff, not everyone has our depth of interest combined with
>> ability when it comes to foods and labels.
>>
>> Susan

> I know in my day, yes a long time ago, the portion sizes were small
> compared to now. If you got a burger it was about the size of a McDonalds
> regular hamburger these days, not very big at all, and I don't ever
> remember an *all you can eat" buffet, or Super Size anything. I'm
> certainly not opposed to regulations on posting the calorie, fat, carb
> count of fast foods...even a huge printed calorie count right down the
> side of a Big Gulp. ;-) That's as far as I can go though.

When I was a kid we could eat at McDonalds for less than a dollar apiece.
We each got a hamburger or cheeseburger. Mine was a double burger. We each
got a drink. We split a package of fries which were in those days the size
that would be called "regular" now. No doubt that my dad likely went back
if we were actually eating there. He always does this when we have fast
food. The portion is never enough and he gets perhaps another sandwich,
more fries and a dessert. He has always been overweight and I do mean since
birth with the exception of a few months where he lost weight on Weight
Watchers and managed to keep it off. It went back on rapidly.

I do remember plenty of All You Can Eat buffets. A favorite one was the
Jolly Jester. It had animated characters to amuse the children. We went
there once with the neighbors. We were told we could take as much as we
wanted but we had to eat it all. Well let me tell you, those kids could
eat! I already knew they could because the girl once invited me to a
slumber party. She ate a whole large sized bag of Fritos off of the kitchen
floor like a dog. She was dared to do it. Then in the morning the mom put
out Poptarts in several different flavors. Told us we could eat as much as
we wanted. She ate two whole boxes! They also had a candy dish that the
mom would put those Wintergreen or Peppermint Lozenges in. Within minutes
they would be gone. Anyway... At the buffet I think those kids went
through the line three times, each time heaping their plates. And they
weren't taking salad. By the time they finished that last plate, they were
kind of green. They were large sized plates too. Not the kind like you get
now at a buffet. We also had a buffet called The Royal Fork. They're still
around. Just not around here.