Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Coals question

I am getting my stuff together to build an outdoor barbecue. Cinder block,
fire coal starter area, cooking grid, all that stuff.

I was wondering. I know I will need an area to start wood and reduce it to
coals. After that, when I transfer it to another area where it will provide
heat and smoke to the meat ......

In that area, should I place the hot coals (or hot briquettes) on a flat
surface, such as concrete, or to a grid? I have some very hefty expanded
metal that I will support with hefty rebar to avoid sagging.

I was wondering if during the cooking process, it is better to have the
coals on a flat bed, or on a grid. If it is on a grid, the air can get to
all sides, making it a little hotter. And the ashes can fall through, as
well as some of the hot coals. If it is on a flat surface, the ashes can
cause the coals to die out a bit, or at least provide a little less heat.

Which is better, a grid, or flat area for hot coals?

Thanks.

I'm about ready to start construction, and I would like to do this just
once. I have been to several sites on the building of many smokers. I just
need a few more answers to fine tune the final design.

Steve