Posted to rec.food.cooking
merryb merryb is offline

Default OT- Flushing out your hot water heater?

On Jun 9, 5:36*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:44:19 -0700 (PDT), "
>

> > wrote:

> >> I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
> >> spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

> >> I was surprised by the calcium (?) nuggets and the clear slime - what the
> >> heck was that?

> >Friend did this once after seeing one of these 'home improvement'
> >shows. *He battled the calcium deposits in the faucet screens for y-e-
> >a-r-s. *Every single week he had to go through the house and take the
> >aerators off and rinse/pick the calcium away. *He wished he'd never
> >followed that bit of advice to prolong his water heater.

> Imagine what that crud does to all the rest of the plumbing... that
> indicates need of a water softener.

I'm not sure about about the need for a water softener in this area-
we have wonderful water. I do remember my parents having one in N.
Cal, but I think this issue here was because of lack of care or even
knowing this is something that needs to be done.