Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected][_2_] itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net[_2_] is offline

Default OT- Flushing out your hot water heater?

On Jun 9, 6:37*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> > Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> > about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> > one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> > it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> > something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

> I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
> spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.
>
> I was surprised by the calcium (?) nuggets and the clear slime - what the
> heck was that?

Friend did this once after seeing one of these 'home improvement'
shows. He battled the calcium deposits in the faucet screens for y-e-
a-r-s. Every single week he had to go through the house and take the
aerators off and rinse/pick the calcium away. He wished he'd never
followed that bit of advice to prolong his water heater.