Posted to alt.food.wine
Bill S. Bill S. is offline

Default Montelena, Jadot, Cos d'Estournel

Notes from a great dinner prepared by a frined for a small group.

2009 Ch. Montelena Chardonnay – nice vanilla and pear nose, very good
balance, finishing well with good acidity. More restraint than many
California chards.

With seared foie gras (large chunk of goose!) served over a warmed
shredded duck confit:

1999 Jadot Beaune 1er Cru – this wine was showing a typical dark
cherry nose with no poopiness, and there was still quite a bit of soft
tannin on entry, with good cherry fruit behind it, medium long. Nice
wine.

With 45 day aged prime rib steaks 2” thick, cooked rare, served with a
demiglace with some added foie gras (Wow!)

1982 Cos d’Estournel – we wondered what was up with this one as the
nose was at first very funky, but it quickly cleared up and it ponied
up an excellent claret nose with elements of earth, cedar and spice.
Mellow and smooth, with considerable weight in the mouth, it showed
some good plummy fruit and further spice on palate and finished with
excellent length and some remaining soft tannins. At peak, but
coasting so I don’t think there is any rush.