View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: 1982 Bdx cheapies, plus Raveneau and Godme

On May 31, 9:16*am, DaleW > wrote:
> 6 of us gathered last night at Morton’s for a look at some lower end 1982s at age 30. We did mid-tier Medoc a few months back, and are planning on mid-tier Right Bank in fall, this was an opportunity to look at some cheapies, a category I always thought did well in ‘82.
>
> We had Morton’s summer special menu- I enjoyed a chopped spinach salad with bacon dressing and a small filet, though I wasn’t wild about the crab cake. Service was good and attentive (we handled our own bottles).
>
> NV Godme Blanc de Noirs Champagne
> Nice full-bodied BdN, toasty and long. I think I liked a bit more than some others did. B+
>
> 2003 Raveneau “Montee de Tonnerre” *Chablis 1er Cru
> This is remarkably well-balanced for a 2003, round but not at all flabby. Big, a little more fruit-centric and less minerally than most vintages, but in context a hell of a success. B+
>
> 1982 Ch. Cos Labory (St. Estephe)
> Not a property I really have any experience with, but a very nice showing.. Black fruits, cigarbox, earth. Resolved tannins, ready to go. B+
>
> 1982 Ch. Malartic-Lagraviere (Graves)
> Light for 1982, but quite a pleasant mature claret. Rounder, redder fruit than most this night, with a nice *touch of tobacco. B
>
> 1982 Ch. La Louviere (Graves)
> I had done a very quick double decant on my wines before train, didn’t get TCA here, but it was apparent by serving time. Too bad, as I’ve had good experiences with this before.
>
> 1982 Ch. Pape Clement (Graves)
> somewhat tired and a bit thin, but with some nice tertiary flavors of underbrush and leather. This had worst cork (dried-crumbly) and fill (but still VHS) of the several I brought, so it’s possible other bottles *could show better. *B-
>
> 1982 Ch. Rouget (Pomerol)
> One of my favorites of the night. A lushness that reminds me of more expensive Pomerols, good dark fruit with a cocoa edge and a little cedar. B+
>
> 1982 Ch. Gloria (St Julien)
> Thanks Josh for bringing, a sentimental wine for me, it was my “epiphany wine” 20+ years ago. This was probably better 10 years ago, but holding on, plummy fruit with a caramelly edge, this was fun to try again. B
>
> 1982 Ch. Talbot (St Julien)
> Lots of structure here, this is the one wine that I’d say would easily hold another 10+ years.
> A little Cordier funk, brawny cassis fruit, B+
>
> (OK, I have to confess I am not totally sure I have the following 2 correctly, I might have mixed up stems)
>
> 1982 Ch. de Sales (Pomerol)
> Kirschy, full, fat texture, good. B
>
> 1982 Ch. Feytit- Clinet (Pomerol)
> Candied, a tad volatil, with a shorter finish than most wines this night. B-/C+
>
> 1982 Ch. Nenin (Pomerol)
> My neighbor didn’t care for this one, calling it “medicinal”, but his medicine is my herb and I quite liked. The herbs are on top of some good fresh fruit., B
>
> 1982 La Croix Pomerol (Pomerol)
> Coffee, leather and cigarbox , midbodied, elegant, *quite enjoyable. . B+/B
>
> 1982 Suduiraut (Sauternes)
> Coconut, tropical fruit, a bitter note, not very lively. B-
>
> So none of the 1982 reds were stunners, but some awfully pleasant wines that I’d be happy to have on dinner table. All are ready to go, some fading, but a pretty good showing considering none of these (except Talbot) are wines one normally considers for 3 decade cellaringl.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I still have 3 bottles of the Talbot 1982 and am glad to hear you
think it will last 10 more years. I am in no hurry to drink it up as
we bought half a case in futures.