Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Roses and tannic Taurasi

Wednesday with chicken cacciatore, the 2001 Aminea “Baiardo” (Taurasi).. Dense, tough, tannic, tar and a little barnyard, needs time or a steak, but not so enjoyable at the moment. B-/C+

Friday mulligatawny stew from freezer with salad and 2011 Edmunds St John “Bone Jolly- Witters Vineyard” Gamay rose. A little rubbery note quickly blows off. Sweet red fruits, fuller style of rose, nice acidity to keep it lively. B+

Early Saturday I headed for CA, 3 wineless days ensued (our dinners were at a Mexican restaurant, a sushi place, and the Twin Cities airport where I had walleye, no lists looked promising so I was a water and tea guy). So I was happy to open a bottle Tuesday night, with the heat pink seemed appropriate. So, with grilled salmon, corn, and a broccoli/lettuce salad, the 2011 Arnot-Roberts rose. I was looking forward to trying this (having enjoyed Arnot-Robert reds), and still am- TCA rears it’s ugly head. Too bad, think something nice underneath.

Replacement is the 2011 Baudry Chinon rose. First taste of this, a perennial fave for me, nothing here to make me think that will change. Very pale salmon (as was the Arnot-Roberts), bright strawberry and orange zest flavors, plenty of mineral on finish, snappy acidity leads to happy Dale. ChambersStreetJoyJuice. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.