Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default Brisket north of $2!

On 5/28/2012 7:20 PM, ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the first time in recent history I had to pay more than $2/lb for
> brisket (untrimmed). Last year I paid $.99/lb, but this year the lowest
> I could find was $2.12/lb. That's a hefty increase! I have noticed that
> meat in general has gotten more expensive, but this Memorial Day brisket
> was a shocker. I know that $2 is not much for meat these days, but the
> real specials on the cuts I like to do always comes around Memorial Day.
>
> Anyhow, it came out perfect (I do the brisket on Sunday and feast on it
> Monday as well) on a mix of fruit, oak and hickory. But although
> expensive this years brisket was not as awe-inspiring as the cheapo one
> from last year. I assume some regulars here did briskets also and I
> wonder if it was me not finding the deal, or if meat has gotten that
> expensive? I live Round Rock, TX.

At $2.12 consider yourself lucky. Way north of Round Rock(Minnesota),
prices are further north :-) . Walmart is around $2.98. Restaurant
Depot is $2.19. Those were prices from 2 months ago. Restaurant Depot,
you need to buy a case of 80 lbs to get that price.

Meat prices are going up. Except chicken parts, excluding wings, can be
bought here for $.99. Pork Butts have gone from $1.99 to $2.99 in the
last year.. Spares have not gone up, but they don't go on sale either,
like they used to. Though Cub did decide this week to put them on sale
at $1.88. They tried putting them on sale last winter at $2.49. That's
a sale price?, I thought. Normal price is $2.99. I passed. Probably they
froze the unsold ones and now that's what is on sale for $1.88. Ad says
previously frozen.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian