Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 1997 Aussie Shiraz

I had a friend visiting from Australia and he brought two 1997 Bottles
from home to open. I have very little Australian wine in my cellar so
it was his party. I was surprised at how close the two wines were to
each other in aging profile and flavor.

1997 Clarendon Hills Piggot Range Shiraz-high toned VA on the nose
with a bit of cassis underneath. Super sweet attack with VA
dominating. Bad bottle?? Not pleasant but others think it's supposed
to age this way.

1997 Elderton Command Shiraz-Another victim of VA? Not as bad as the
Clarendon Hills but clearly loaded with VA, sweet nail polish remover
smell and taste.

Admittedly I am no expert on mature Australian shiraz but I know VA
when I smell/taste it. Was I just unjlucky to taste two randomly
affected bottles or is this the way they are supposed to age?