Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_2_] John Kuthe[_2_] is offline

Default There *is* a cilantro gene

On Thu, 24 May 2012 08:36:36 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On 24 May 2012 14:23:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2012-05-24, John Kuthe > wrote:
>>>
>>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>>> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

>>It may be you've always eaten older mature brussel sprouts. I discovered a
>>long time ago small "baby" sprouts are nowhere near as bitter, sprouts
>>becoming more bitter as they grow. Try some really small ones.
>>
>>I steam them for about 7-8 mins, top w/ real butter, and sprinkle with a good
>>fresh grated parmesan or pecorino. Yum!
>>
>>nb

>It's interesting that you describe the flavor as bitter. I like
>Brussels sprouts and I can't fathom where the idea of bitter comes
>from.
>Janet US

This is exactly what I mean. People that cannot taste it cannot fathom
what I'm talking about, just as I cannot fathom what George HW Bush
fids distasteful about broccoli. My father, sister and one unrelated
friend I can think of also share my complete distaste for brussels
sprouts. And my sister once thought well maybe if we get very young
fresh brussels sprouts they will be good. So we did for one
Thansgiving and they werre still nasty!

John Kuthe...