Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default There *is* a cilantro gene

On 5/24/2012 11:03 AM, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>>> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>>> see frequently.
>>> http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
>>>
>>> The actual study is written up in an 18 page pdf-
>>> http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf
>>>
>>> Jim

>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>> in brussels sprouts is genetic. Back in high school biology the
>> teacher passed out little strips of paler impregnated with a chemical
>> that genetically some could taste as bitter and some could not taste
>> at all. And genetically the "tasting" ability occured in a known
>> percentave of people in a population. An in our small sample size (the
>> class) our percentage of tasters was close to the known percentage!
>>
>> I'm firmly convinced that some vegetables contain a similar nasty
>> flavor that only some can taste. For me and some others it's brussels
>> sprouts. For George HW Bush it was brocolli. I cannot taste anything
>> in broccoli that's the least bit unpleasant. Go figure!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> I agree with you, John. I love broccoli. The brussel sprouts are weird
> though and need to be cooked in a special way to taste good. I haven't
> found that special way yet. I only eat them when on a diet. Other than
> that, they would make great large ammo for a Whammo sling shot!

I have never liked broccoli "flowers" but I can eat the stems with
reasonable
enjoyment. To tell the truth, I never liked any Brassica vegetable as a
child but that I found was due to them being overcooked. I like both
cabbage and Brussels sprouts these days but I still find them bitter if
they are cooked too much. I don't really like Minestrone soup if it
contains overcooked cabbage.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.