Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2[_2_] Nancy2[_2_] is offline

Default Long Term Food Storage

On May 22, 1:28*pm, Dr. John Burge
> wrote:
> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
> We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> harvesting system. *Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> foods. *We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> corn meal for instance. *Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> (months and years)? *Thanks.
>
> --
> Dr. John Burge

A doomsday believer, eh? Buy the rice in small enough quantities to
put it in the freezer for a day or so before storing it - should kill
anything already there. In any event, people who store large
quantities of water, canned goods and dry goods are told to routinely
rotate it into current meals and then replace it, so cans don't burst
and critters don't take over.

I had a can of sauerkraut in my pantry for probably 5-6 years before I
noticed it had burst its seams...and there wasn't any dent in it to
begin with - it just did that on its own fermentation schedule. Be
careful. You don't want to survive whatever doomsday comes and then
die of botulism.

N.