Posted to rec.food.cooking
gregz gregz is offline

Default Long Term Food Storage

Dr. John Burge > wrote:
> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
> We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> harvesting system. Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> foods. We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> (months and years)? Thanks.

What I worry about, besides food, if the power grid went out in the winter,
you need wood and a stove. No electricity, everything becomes unavailable.
You might need to listen to special radio stations. Communication, ham and
cb. Need solar panels or other generation. Forget about gasoline. Need to
get through the winter, hopefully with emergency supplies from troops. Snow
might help. Need clorox.

Greg