Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Long Term Food Storage

On 2012-05-23 14:11:50 +0000, Hell Toupee said:

>> The most important thing to have is weapons to protect your hoard from
>> hungry enemies.

> Oh, he's got LOTS of those. And lots of imaginary enemies, too.

They are even worse! They keep you from sleeping at night and
frequently turn your friends and family into foes.

On another note, the "long term emergency" initially stated, is that
just logically to be assumed as the complete collapse of modern
society? I thought it might meen a devastating earthquake that cut off
highly populated communities from power and supplies for many weeks,
perhaps months. But here I guess we're assuming no relief whatever
from governmental services or aid groups.

I would think if we were talking a collapse of society, that getting a
crew together for ensuring consistent water supply, and farming would
be job #1, including the equipment, seed, and other aspects needed to
feed the necessary people for many years.

With all the guns and ammo imaginable and safe access to your food and
water, next year you'll need more of both, and a family of two adults
and two children could have a hard time growing enough food to keep
starvation at bay for very long.